Monday, April 19, 2010

The Drowsy Chaperone

Hello Everyone!
This past weekend, I traveled to my hometown in Philadelphia for two occasions. First of all, it was my Goddaughter's baptism. What a lovely occasion. I was so proud and honored. It was a beautiful day! The second activity is what I want to blog about.
I went to an all-girls Catholic high school. I did the shows at my own school, but I also did them at our brother all-boys high school. This theatre program has an amazing reputation. People say that it is just as good as Broadway, so I was incredibly honored to be a part of it during my junior and senior years of high school. I did Bye Bye Birdie my junior year and A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum my senior year. Both shows were amazing experiences and I learned so much about good theatre. I love to go back and see the shows because they are still just as amazing. I am so proud to be a part of this program.
This weekend was the last weekend of their show The Drowsy Chaperone. When they announced that they were doing the show, I didn't know a thing about it. While I was on tour, I listened to the whole recording and immediately fell in love with it. I was so excited to see it. The show did not let me down one bit. In fact, it was even better than I expected. The Drowsy Chaperone is the story of a man who is feeling blue and he decides to listen to one of his favorite records, The Drowsy Chaperone. As he plays the record, the show comes alive in his apartment. He stops the record throughout the show and makes comments and tells stories. It is just amazing. The book was absolutely hysterical. Various problems also occur with the record, which causes the cast to freeze or "skip like a record does." It is so funny. I was dying!
The best thing, however, and what has stuck with me the most, is the message. The show is about the joy of musical theatre. It has the power to change people. I related so much to the Man in Chair character. Whenever I am in a bad mood, all I have to do is listen to a Broadway recording and I instantly feel better. What a magical thing! I think that is one of the main reasons why I love musical theatre and why I love doing it. It is such a powerful art form and it has gotten me through a lot of hard times. I am so grateful for music.

In honor of this show, I am going to post one of the funniest numbers from the show! Enjoy I Am Aldolpho:

No comments:

Post a Comment