Tuesday, January 10, 2012

My Favorite Things

Hi All!

Have you ever seen a piece of theatre or a movie, or a musical performance that just touched you and has stayed with you ever since? I know I have and this is especially true for me in regards to theatrical experiences. Well, today on Playbill.com, there was a piece written by the talented Victoria Clark recounting her favorite theatre experiences. You can find that article here. Well I just thought this was such a brilliant idea and a great new blog post! So without further ado, here is my list!:


1. Contact National Tour at the Forrest Theatre in Philadelphia: I will never forget the night I saw this show. I was a sophomore in high school and a huge fan of Susan Stroman's work. If you don't know her, she directed and choreographed the critically-acclaimed production of The Producers. Look her up, she's amazing. At this time in my life I also really hated being tall. I will never forget seeing Holly Cruikshank (an actress of my height!) dance circles around everyone and standing tall and proud. It was inspiring...so inspiring in fact that I made a resolution that night that I wanted to study theatre in college and be an actress. I also vowed to always stand tall....and it was the subject of my college admission essay.

2. Godspell at the Walnut Street Theatre in Philadelphia: I love Godspell and I don't care who knows it! It is such a fun show and I am dying to be in one day! A couple of years ago, the Walnut Street Theatre in Philly put on a production that was completely revamped; Song styles and orders were changed. They also set the show under the Ben Franklin Bridge in Philly and the characters were all homeless. It was so original and there were a bunch of stellar performances. Such a great production. I wish I had a video.

3. Reasons To Be Pretty on Broadway: Wow! What a play! I loved it! And again, amazing performances and a powerful message. I hope to catch it when it plays in Philly this spring.

4. Sunday in the Park with George on Broadway: I saw it twice and Jenna Russell and Daniel Evans were just breathtaking. I had to catch my breath a couple of times during this show. The projections were also fascinating. I wish I had a video of this too.

5. Bernadette Peters in Follies and A Little Night Music on Broadway: Enough said. She's brilliant and so were these productions. Go see Follies before it closes at the end of the month!

There are so many more shows that I could add...but these are the top 5. I look forward to my next breathtaking theatre experience! And I beg you, go see live theatre! Support us please! Link

No comments:

Post a Comment